Flourless Olive Oil Chocolate Cake by Chef Ilaria Marzullo
Flourless Olive Oil Chocolate Cake
This might be the ultimate, moist and squidgy chocolate cake recipe you’ll ever try! Made with ground almonds and Sicily Terre di Zaccanello extra virgin olive oil.
The fragrance of “Terre di Zaccanello” is moderately intense and aromatic, with elegant notes of flowers that pair very well with Chocolate!
For the Flourless Olive Oil Chocolate Cake
170g Dark Chocolate
125 ml Terre di Zaccanello Extra Virgin Olive Oil
25g Almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C
- Brush the tins with a little bit of olive oil, and line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- Prepare the ingredients, chop the chocolate into small pieces and separate the eggs into two small bowls.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof, medium-sized bowl.
- Fill a pot partway with water, and bring it to a simmer on the stove. Turn off the heat, and put the bowl on top of the pot. Stir gently as the residual heat melts the chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the olive oil and sugar.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, whisking to combine.
- Whisk in the almond flour and salt.
- Using a whisk or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they start to firm up but haven’t yet formed stiff peaks.
- Now start slowly sprinkling in the remaining sugar as you continue to whip. Keep whipping until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold one-third of the meringue into the chocolate base to start. This will lighten the color and texture of the mixture.
- Carefully fold in the rest of the meringue. The key here is to be gentle - you want to keep as much air as possible in the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. You’ll know the cakes are done when the center is set and a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Be careful not to bake too long-the chocolate can burn easily.
Olive Oil Dark Chocolate Sorbet
300g Dark Chocolate 150g Sugar
3tbsp Terre di Zaccanello Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine 150ml of water and 150g of caster sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil while whisking to dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until melted. Allow to cool slightly and add the Olive Oil and the remaining 600ml of water. Using a blender, blitz until smooth.
- Place the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until a sorbet consistency is reached.
For the Gluten-free Thyme crumble
30g Ground Almond
30g Gluten-free flour
30g Demerara sugar
5g Thyme chopped
- Mix all the ingredients in the Kitchen Aid, don't over mix.
- Crumble the mix on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 min at 175°C.
Serve the flourless cake with a scoop of chocolate sorbet and serve with a drizzle of olive oil.
Find Biancolilla EVO in our collection.