Olive Oil Cake with Pistachio cream and Poached Strawberries by Chef Ilaria Marzullo
My Olive oil lemon cake is super fresh and is really easy to prepare! I decided to use Extra virgin olive oil from Agrums Trespaldum, an amazing good quality olive oil with a fresh citrus aroma & taste, it really accentuates the taste of lemon in this cake recipe.
37g Egg Yolk
25g Lemon juice
3g Lemon Zest
160g Italian Olive oil extra virgin Agrums
105g Egg White
2 g Salt
- Preheat the oven to 165°C
- Combine 110 g sugar, egg yolk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in stand mixer with whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Sift flour and Gradually add while mixing on medium speed.
- In a slow stream, pour in the olive oil. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Clean and dry the stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment. Add egg whites and salt to bowl of stand mixer. Mix on high speed until eggs form a light foam.
- Gradually add 50g sugar. Mix until stiff peaks form. (You can tell stiff peaks have formed when the peaks of the foam don’t fall when you remove the whisk and hold it upright.)
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter a third at a time.
- Coat a 20cm springform pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap pan on counter to remove excess flour. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
2 Egg yolks
40g Pistachio paste
- Warm the milk to medium heat, in a bowl beat the yolks and the sugar, then add the cornflour and leave aside.
- Add the warm milk to the yolks mix and mix well, then bring back to heat and cook until the cream stat boil.
- Place the cream in a bowl then cover with cling film and leave cool down.
- Once the cream is cold add the pistachio paste and mix well and place in a piping bag.
- Prepare a syrup with water and sugar, then slice the peels into thin strips, and add to the syrup and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the peels and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the peels out in an even layer on the parchment.
- Let the peels cool for about 15 minutes till tacky to the touch. Keep the syrup for the Poached strawberries.
100g Fresh Strawberries
- Slice the strawberries then poach them in the warm lemon syrup (don’t use too hot) then leave cool down at room temperature.
- Slice a piece of olive oil cake and place in the middle of the plate, cut also small cubes 1cm, and leave aside for decoration.
- Pipe the pistachio cream on the Olive oil slice, arrange the strawberries on top, and decorate with the lemon peels.
- Decorate the plate with some cubes of cake and lemon peels, and finish the plate with a drizzle of the Olive oil extra virgin Agrums.