- Q.s Traspaldum extra virgin olive oil by Gentile di Mafalda
- 220 gr of Carnaroli rice
- 1 onion
- 600 gr white asparagus
- 1 of vegetable stock
- Q.s salt
- Q.s pepper
- 60 gr of Parmigiano Reggiano
- Snap the woody ends off the white asparagus stalks and tip them into a saucepan with the stock. Put on a low heat to very gently simmer. Meanwhile, cut off the tips of the white asparagus, add to the stock for exactly 1 min. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and set aside. Finely slice the rest of the stalks into rounds
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a heavy, wide pan. Cook the onions gently for 5 mins until soft, stirring often. Add the chopped asparagus stalks and cook for 2 mins more. Add the Carnaroli rice and continuously stir for a few minutes until it turns semi-transparent and makes a hissing sound.
- Stir in the wine – it will evaporate almost immediately. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring between each addition until it is absorbed, about 15 mins.
- Try the rice – it should feel just cooked with a slight bite to it. Stir in the asparagus tips and any last dregs of stock and cook for 1 or 2 mins more. Remove from the heat and top with most of the parmesan. Season generously, cover and leave for a few minutes to settle.
- Give the risotto a thorough stir to incorporate the Gentile di Mafalda extra virgin olive oil and cheese and serve straight away with the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano and Extra virgin olive oil